STSM = Short Term Scientific Mission
• to contribute to the scientific objectives of a COST Action
• to strengthen the existing networks by allowing scientists to
go to an institution or laboratory in another COST Country to foster collaboration, to learn a new technique or to take measurements using instruments and/or methods not available in their own institution/laboratory.
• particularly intended for young scientists
• Duration: min. 1 week max. 3 months OR beyond 3 months (less than PhD +8yrs)
An Action should normally set up at least 4 STSMs per year
• The financial support is a contribution to the costs of a STSM and may not necessarily cover all the costs in each case. The grant should normally cover only travel and subsistence.
• The financial contribution for a STSM will be a fixed grant based on the Applicant's budget request and the evaluation of the application by the STSM assessment committee.
• An amount of 60 to 90€ for the daily allowance in particular for longer stays and 300€ for the travel is recommended but not obligatory.
• The total of a STSM shall normally not exceed 2500€ up to 3 months (or 3500€ for Early Stage Researchers – above 3 months).
• In any case the costs associated with the STSM must not exceed the limits set in the rules for reimbursement by COST of expenses for experts eligible for reimbursement.
• An advance payment may be made in exceptional circumstances, which will require additional special justification.
Supporting tools and documents
COST Vademecum “COST Grant System”
COST Grant Agreement
ESF-EC grant agreement
How to join a COST Action
COST Reciprocal Agreements
STSM / ESR coordinators
Dr Evangelia Zampeli at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Aurelio Moya-Garcia at email@example.com